2013 was a great year. 2014 will be even better!
Im going to start posting my KKG Artbook works in progress.
Here is my Altered Beast submission. This is the first boss, Aggar. I have always been intrigued and confused about his strange design. He is made up of corpses and he attacks by throwing an infinite number of quickly regenerating heads... weird.
I get a lot of process requests so I will try to show some of this when I remember to save. :P
1. Reference. I couldnt find any concepts for this guy so I just used a screenshot. This brings back great memories of the Sega Genesis launch days... also makes me feel old. :P
2. Super quick, initial composition scribble. I try to get the basic flow in less than 1 min. When I spend too much time on this, it tend to stiffen up and I lose a lot of the dynamic lines.
3. Figure out what the basic anatomy and directionality of the shapes looks like.
4. Tightening up the drawing and deciding where I want the detailed areas to be. (creating focal points)
5. Very quick color block in to figure out my main colors. This is normally the most difficult step for me. This time I just went with the basic colors from the screenshot. Easy mode. :)